Saturday, February 9, 2013

Just Getting Started

Hi all,

In this blog, I will chronicle my journey to becoming a sub 2:30 marathoner. My current PRs are 2:52 in the 2012 Scotiabank Marathon -- which gave me the win for the 20-24 age group (since the top 2 in the category finished in the top-ten overall), and 1:18 in the 2012 Mississauga Half -- giving me #1 in the category and 8th overall. In the blog, I will give post-race reviews, gear tips and reviews, as well as share some delicious and healthy food recipes. The blog will have a strong focus on nutrition as I live by the saying, "You don't fill a Ferrari with regular gasoline."

I have a big race coming up next weekend - the Winterman Half Marathon - in Ottawa. From my training runs I am hoping to at least break 1:15 and if the conditions are right and my hamstring (which i have had problems with in the past) stays inline then i think I can run sub 1:14. Last week I had a 21k training run in my new Kinvara 3's coming in at 1:19 - and it was not supposed to be a fast run (the new shoes just carried me along). I also had a 14k tempo run this Wednesday in my race shoes the Adidas Adios coming in at 46:13. So i figure I am in PR form for this one. Right now just keeping a close eye on the weather.

Anyways that's enough of an intro..my first post here will showcase a recipe I came up with today for lunch post 15k steady run (4min/km pace). So here it is:

Serves 1 Runner:
Tuna Pita Sauce-less Pizza
The yellow stuff there is the dijon. The color isn't great in the pic.

1 can PC Low Sodium Solid White Tuna
1 cup of fresh diced tomato
1/2 cups of chopped white onion
2 100% Whole Wheat Pitas
10ml (2tsp.) of olive oil
1 cup PC Broccoli Slaw
Dijon Mustard (optional) - I put some on one of them

Nutrition Facts: 595 kcal, 620 mg of sodium, 14g of total fat (less than 2.5 g of saturated fat), 47 grams of protein (most from the tuna)




Simple Easy Directions: Spread 1 tsp. of olive oil onto each pita. Flake the white tuna coating the top of the pita. Spread the tomatoes, onions, and slaw (using it like a cheese) over the pita bread. Place the pizza onto non-stick baking pan, and into a 375 degree oven for approx. 15 min. Then turn oven to broil and continue to cook for an additional 3-5 minutes - depending how powerful your oven it - just until the crust of the pita is looking crispy. Let stand for 1-2 minutes and enjoy.



No comments:

Post a Comment