Sunday, April 21, 2013

Running on Empty

Recently I came across an article on the Running Times Nutrition website about one of Meb Keflezighi's (Olympic Marathoner - Team USA) training tactics. He calls in running on empty. Basically, when your body is completely glycogen depleted and then perform a high intensity session research (Keith Baar Ph.D study which can be found in the European Journal of Sports Science) has shown improvements in your body's ability to burn fat thereby sparing glycogen stores. It also can help you mentally since it can get you accustomed to running with very little energy (which will happen regardless of your training methods at the end of a marathon). I just came back from a depleted double, where I skipped CHO throughout the day then played 60 minutes of floor hockey (lots of sprints and quick burst, plus I didn't take any shifts off), then right after skipped refueling (I did rehydrate - just with water), and then went on a 20k tempo run (1:11:30 - was just ripping up the road thanks to my achilles feeling somewhat better probably 75%). Anyways, I feel like a zombie right now but we'll see in Mississauga if this workout today pays off.

No comments:

Post a Comment