Thursday, April 17, 2014

Commit to the Comeback

2.5 weeks since the beating at the Around the Bay 30k. My body and mind were broken. I left Hamilton, not knowing what to do or how to do it. I was completely lost. But a couple days went by, and a starting swimming, and doing crazy long high intensity weights/core workout in the basement. Even managed to get myself boxing on the heavy bag in the basement, and working the speedbag. I added new tougher core exercises that really got me sweating, and heart rate soaring. I don't know what my weight is right now, but I would have to guess even after only 2.5 wks, because I was hitting the weights, swim, and bike really hard (all strength based workouts), I've probably added a few pounds of pure muscle. Really seriously, I said to my Dad the other night after some power exercises with the medicine ball, that I would maybe have to back off a little cause I could feel the muscle actually packing on in my upper body, especially the back muscles (rhomboids, and lats from the swimming). But I decided today since my leg really was feeling quite good, for an easy 8k on the grass around my old elementary school St. Joseph the Worker. No world records, not that I was trying or anything, I just wanted to see if the tibia was better. My overall evaluation, was it was pretty good. Not 100%, but their was no pain for the majority of the run, and when I felt a slight ache it was nothing compared to what it had been. So, I'll see what it feels like tommorow, and keep taking it day by day at this point, at the current moment their are no races on the calender so basically I'm not in a rush. Obviously I would like to get back to running big mileage weeks again soon, but after having quite a bit of fun putting on muscle, biking, boxing, and swimming the last few weeks I'm content for the moment with taking it slowly. Having said that their are a few races that I'm dreaming of doing in the following months. For example, the Forest City 5000m (May 4th at night on the track under the lights) sounds really awesome. I've also been planning on taking a month long trip up to altitude in Park City Utah (7000ft at the hotel so perfect elevation for quality altitude training - not too too high and not too low, and trails that go well into the 10000s). On my return, I graduate and then was hoping to do a slew of racing in the subsequent weeks while still reaping the benefits of altitude (a half marathon, a 10k, another race on the track, and a 5k on Canada Day). That's the dream, and I have truly being having dreams about being back on the track again (some good, some bad). Something I've been using for inspiration to get believing that I can comeback is this clip from the Scotiabank Marathon last year. I trimmed the clip to about 2 and a half minutes. It may not look like much but our group is rolling at the point going 3:20/km and were roughly the 11k mark here about 37 minutes into the race. I like the song because the lyrics really describe what I was feeling at the point "feel your body groove." And it was I felt awesome here rolling along the waterfront with Canadian Record holder Lanni Marchant and Krista Duchene, along with 2:17 marathoner Rejean Chiasson. Obviously, me in the blue singlet if you couldn't tell. 
















No comments:

Post a Comment