Friday, May 23, 2014

Sky Running

Thursday: Up bright and early and off for first longer workout of the trip. This was a 1,2,3,2,1 X 3 Fartlek workout where I would go 1 min, 2 min, 3 min, 2 min, 1 min hard with equal rests in between each and did that 3 times over - overall 15k. All in all, very happy with the workout. It was done on the flat rail trail and then back to the Mcleod Creek Trail, and it was really amazing to see how fast I could go on flat ground, after a bunch of runs in the mountains, especially the one on Tuesday. No world records but good honest splits: the 1 min hard splits ranged from 3:20-3:30 pace, the 2 min from 3:30-3:35 and the 3 min from 3:35-3:37, so overall the surges ranged from half marathon pace to marathon pace. Obviously I could go faster on the 1 min surges, but I'm content with the workout from an effort point of view with the heart rate right in that range where I wanted it to be 180-188 range, and peaking at 192. After that took a nice nap in the sun on my veranda, which was happily welcomed as the past few nights I haven't been getting the best of sleeps. Then off to do more groceries. You ever get the feeling like you seem to be doing groceries every day, maybe it's because you are. Holy smokes, the problem is due to the nature of it being a training trip, my goodness I am needing to pretty much eat constantly, and am in search of so more efficient ways of shopping without breaking my budget. But anyways came back and was off for run number 2 a 15k jaunt on the Prospector Loop, still over a 1000 feet of elevation gain at a lower altitude (7300ft), but taking it nice and easy. Next, on to an ab workout and 20 minutes of drills outside and that was it for the day. Some pics from the afternoon run:

Didn't turn out how I wanted. Was intending on
sort of a look what I've conquered pic, but whatever
hard to be dissapointed looking at those sweet kicks.



















Friday: Road Day: I  think it's important that in addition to gallivanting off in the mountains, it is critical I maintain my feeling of straight line running on the road, as that's where I will be doing all of my competitions. Having said that, it doesn't mean I'm restricted to just running around town - although it's not like that would be that boring considering how pretty the town is. And it also doesn't means that it has to be flat running. I am after all training in the mountains, so besides the rail trail pretty much everywhere you go is up or down hill. So I decided to do a road session up to very high altitude and with lots of climbing involved after my early morning 6.5k loosener and strength workout. Decided to head South to Deer Valley Resort and to Royal St. Royal street basically winds its way up and past Bald Eagle Mountain and towards Bald Mountain. The trip is basically one long hill of a constant gradient, although map my run says it is split between two category two climbs. The first is a 10 km climb, followed by a 5km climb with a mile long section at 15% to the finish. Overall a 15km sufferest of 2081ft of gain, not to mention the majority being well over 8000ft the finish sitting at 8600ft. From there a equally challenging and much steeper 8.5 km descent back (more direct route) with a few points with a 20% downhill gradient. Overall it went really well. I held a solid pace for the climb up reaching the 10k mark in 48:30, the tenth kilometer even managed to be under 4:30 pace. All was going well till about 13k when hit a bit of a wall where started to feel a little woozy, and dizzy, my heart rate surged into the 190 range, and the pace substantially dropped to 5:35 for that split. But continued to push through and bounced back with a 4:36. The pounding descent took alot out and was considering stopping at one point, but continued on, and managed to finish with a strong kilometer at 3:40 pace. Afterwards, was exhausted but happy with the overall effort for the 23.5k adventure. Submerged myself into a frigid cold whirlpool slush bath afterwards, I hope the residents weren't able to hear me for the first few minutes of the 20 minute soak, I was a tad cold and I let the towel wrapped around my head know it quite sternly. Luckily, what has been getting me through these after-run soaks is the muscle milk chocolate protein power, banana, and buckwheat pancake batter resting nicely on the counter ready to hit the pan - in addition to some music to try and distract myself. Stopped twice (just for a few seconds don't worry not enough to recover) along the run up to take a couple gorgeous views of the mountains, here they are:


Way back down after the teeth shattering mile long steep drop.

Now onto a core workout.

No comments:

Post a Comment