Monday, May 26, 2014

What a Week

Saturday: Started the day with a nice and easy 10k loosener run than a good strength workout of drills. It was supposed to rain but other than a 2 second drizzle at one point, pretty much partly cloudy and another good day to run. After yesterday's gritfest of a run, today wanted to take it somewhat easy, so just rolled through a 17k run up Prospector Loop to Gamble Oak, back to Solomore and back. Still a good 1500ft gain and ended with a couple quick kilometers back on the rail trail.

After it was onto a core workout and watching both Real Madrid win UCL and Miami Heat later one. 

Sunday: An absolutely stunning day without a cloud in the sky and 24. Two differences I notice with the weather here compared to Thornhill is that when it is 24, it feels 24, and it reaches the high for the day much earlier - by about 9am. Took to the roads for a 6k shakeout and some drills, then was off for my longer run of the week (28K), and by far one of my new favorite routes. Went North to the Canyons Resort on Mcleod Creek Trail (paved path), and then west through about an 8 ft wide gravel path through the beautiful farmland. It really is amazing how many different regions there seems to be in about a 10mile radius around Park City. You have the business district with some chains shops and stuff, then main st. where you have all your boutique stores and fancier restaurants, then to the South there is Deer Valley Resort, to the east, Park City Mountain Resort, and to the north the Canyons Resort, and all the "resorty" type shops and stops. Well where I was yesterday was totally different because I was truly in farmland. The path was so beautiful with a white farm fence the whole way along, equestrian fences, and what seemed like forever long miles of rolling hills. By far my favorite spot because of how quiet it was and the amazing view you got of the mountains to the west the whole way. So that was the first half of the run. Then things got a little interesting. Was intending on going 12k out and then back on another paved path called Silver Quinn Trail for a total of 26k. The trail started from one residential neighbourhood on Trailside Rd., where I'm telling you those people have more money then they know what to do with (massive mansions, and yards).  So strolling through the neighbourhood, the whole run to this point was hovering around 4min/km pace, but going easy with HR constantly at about 150, and finally got to a path called Silver Summit Trail. Since it was incredibly close to where I knew the Silver Quinn trail to be, I figured it must have just changed its name. Boy that was a mistake. This trail zig-zaged north, then east, then west, then south, back north and fourth, and was taking me off into what seemed to be no-man's land. Thankfully, I had the mountains in the background to use as a reference point to atleast give me an idea of where I needed to get to. But not knowing exactly where this trail is taking me and starting to run low on water and fuel is not the greatest feeling. So everytime the trail was leading back South I was pushing on the pace, and then if it curved back North, I started getting nervous and slowing a bit. In my head the second half of the run pretty much sounded like this, "Yes, South alright, will get back no problem, shoot back North o man I'm going to end up in Wyoming." The run turned into a 28 battle and finally climbed over one last big hill to end up back in PC. I should've packed more water and fuel than a tiny 200kcal for the trip, and only 400ml of H20, but overall still had lots of fun, since fuel or no fuel I will always be able to keep running, and really how frustrated can you get with the view you're treated to throughout. 

Overall a massive week of mileage, and a good mix in of some quality speed sessions. Just about 230 kilometers of running over the eight day span, and a sweet 5500 meters of elevation gain (18044 ft) - about 2/3 of the way up Mt. Everest (8848 meters), not bad for week number one. I'm thrilled with the amazing variety of runs I've been able to go on: some on the road, some of the trails up the mountains, on the track, in farmland, and more. Today, Monday, I've already gone for 10k warmup run, then in the afternoon once the memorial day ceremony stuff is over at the high school here will hit there track for a race pace tempo run (8k), followed by a cooldown run in the evening.

Here's the tempo:

No comments:

Post a Comment